Foremost national ground handling services provider, Nigerian Aviation Handling Company Plc (nahcoaviance), is continuing the cementing of its leadership position in the industry with the recent signing of a string of new international and local businesses.
A statement from the company signed by Tayo Ajakaye, corporate affairs manager, listed the expanding number of businesses to include international air operators, Meridiana Fly (Italian Airline), Mid –African Airlines (new Gambia Flag Carrier), which are making entries into Nigeria for the first time.
It also includes Rwandair which had just concluded plans to fly the Abuja – Kigali route.
Also concluded is the deal with Mainstream Aviation; a major Cargo Air-Freight (Logistics) Airline operating both international and local flights.
As if to complement the expanding business on the international route, the company has also signed deals to provide ground handling service for Air Peace in Akure, Ondo State, and for fast rising local operator, Azman Air in Maiduguri and Yola.
Speaking on the development, Chief Commercial Officer (CCO) of the Company, Mr. Seyi Adewale said, “It’s during difficult business periods or cycles that the ‘wheat is separated from the chaff’. At this stage, it’s very clear that NAHCO is an excellent and efficient brand that has endured 36 years of Aviation (Ground) Handling Efficiency and Qualitative Standards. Our high-end Ground Support Equipment is well maintained and upgraded. We have a strong and motivated workforce, and we are sticklers for continuous business development and innovation.
“Our professional and operating ethics sets us far above other Terminal operators and this is further proven by our growing local and international airline partners. We would continue with our driving force and slogan to deliver Service Beyond Expectation!”, he said.
According to Adewale, the new businesses are a testimony of the excellent service delivery which NAHCO is known for globally, pointing out that more and more operators are realizing that they deserve value for money and are turning to a service provider that can ensure that.
Publicly – listed NAHCO has continued to weather the storm of harsh operating environment and has declared revenues of N8.4Billion for the 2015 operating year, a year which analysts were unanimous in proclaiming as a very difficult year.
NAHCO is a Nigerian diversified enterprise with interests in aviation cargo, aircraft handling, passenger facilitation, crew transportation and aviation training.
The company currently serves more than 35 airlines at nine airports across Nigeria, with plans to expand operations to other African countries.
It handles about 70 percent of domestic and foreign airlines operating in Nigeria.
The company was incorporated on December 6th 1979 as an aviation servicing company but started operations in April 1979 with the commissioning of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos.
The Federal Government of Nigeria, through Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), initially held 60 percent equity interest in the company while four foreign airlines – Air France, British Airways, Sabena and Lufthansa – shared the remaining 40 percent in various ratios.
In 2005, nahco aviance was privatized and subsequently listed on The Nigerian Stock Exchange in 2006. The company is now owned by over 80, 000 shareholders, including two international airlines – Air France and Lufthansa; as well as local investors; Sycor Private Investment Limited and Rosehill Group Nigeria Limited. The company’s stock exchange symbol is “Nahco”.
Since its privatization, the company has embarked on business diversification programme that cuts across industries and geography, as a result of which it has developed strategic global alliances through its membership of aviance, the global alliance of 10 reputable airport service providers operating from 112 stations in 17 countries, and The International Air Cargo Association (TIACA), which exists to promote the air cargo industry and world trade.
In 2010, nahco aviance was awarded the ISAGO certification, the IATA Safety Audit for Ground Operations, becoming the first ground handling company in West Africa to receive one of the aviation industry’s highest honours for safety and service quality, and has been recertified till 2016. nahco aviance is rated Aa- by Augusto and A- by GCR.
In its commitment to exceptional value creation for shareholders, NAHCO is currently consolidating its aviation services operations and expanding across Africa.
The company has also incorporated NAHCO FTZ Limited to drive the free trade zone initiative and enhance operational efficiency and competitiveness.
nahco aviance employs more than 1,700 Nigerian and expatriate staff and in 2015 generated N8.45 billion in revenues
By: Sade Williams